Thursday, August 5, 2010

GUESS WHO

I sit around the pool, comfortably on my sun lounge with my blue and green striped beach towel on top. I like to try and guess the nationality of the other guests. You can pick the Aussie's a mile away. I see them walking towards me with a carton of Bintang under his arm and over her shoulder, a green environmentally friendly Woolworths bag - bingo! To the right of me sits a family. Dad, Mum and two teenage girls. I guess they are French. The Dad has that typical Parisian look or at least the look I imagine Parisian gentlemen to possess, one of sophistication. I wait, listening for them to speak to see if I recognise any words from my French lessons in Brisbane before we left. But there is only silence among them each one reading a book. Obviously Stieg Larsson fans as this is the Author of three of the four books being read. I see a "De" and a "Maison" and think I could be right. Immediately next to me on my left is a lady, currently eating lunch. Some sort of wrap and fries with a freshly squeezed juice. She was here when I arrived pool side, soaking up the sun and reading a magazine. She has a bottle of Evian water and a well used plastic bag labelled Matahari Department Store on the ground beside her. German perhaps? Swiss maybe? Fuck knows! My "guess who" game is interrupted by Jayden who has just finished his snorkelling lesson. He wants to know "why did you smoke in Bali?" I answer "just for fun." Why I'm doing anything in life from now on - just for fun!!