Monday, August 2, 2010

DIRTY LITTLE PRICKS

When I was a schoolgirl if someone in your class had nits they were dirty and disgusting. It meant they were dirty and didn't wash their hair which is why they got nits. I've never had them but poor Sofie has been plagued with them whilst in Brisbane. They ran rampant in her class/year and if someone else had them then Sofie was sure to end up with them. It is from this that I have realised that the little fuckers don't go for the grots because Sofie washed her hair daily, if not every second day. The last douching with head lice solution was the week before we left which meant we had to bring the rest of the solution with us to reapply 10 days later. I'm not sure how many days we're up to but Jayden has been complaining of an itchy head so last night, whilst I was fast asleep, Dave did the nit search to find some big suckers crawling around his head. Fucken dirty little pricks playing "tiggy" on his scalp. It's the first time they've been able to run and hide on his short back and sides. How's your head? Itchy? Today, we'll need to find a pharmacy or somewhere to get some more anti-lice to ensure we're rid of the bastards before we get to London.

It occurred to me this morning that I was whingeing over having to wash the dishes the old fashioned way, in the sink. Other than the cooking, which I've now minimised, and clothes washing I'm doing jack shit. Every morning the doorbell rings and we're greeted with "selamat pagi" by our gorgeous housekeeper. He makes our beds, cleans our bathrooms, delivers fresh towels, handtowels, teatowels, washers and bathmats and sweeps and mops the floors. If only I could take him home. So, no more whining from me. It's the least I can do.

I've got some basic lingo down pat. Dave was impressed yesterday when I had a very mini conversation with the kids club carer, Yugi:

"Pagi."
"Pagi. Apa kabar."
"Baik-baik saja. Apa kabar."
"Baik."