Monday, May 3, 2010

PACKING UP

One of the reasons I wanted to go on this adventure is to learn to live more simply, with less stuff. To appreciate the simple things in life. Although I am grateful and appreciative of the lifestyle we do lead, I'd like to see and really feel just how lucky we are. I'm in the process of dealing with all of our "stuff" and packing up the house ready to move on in just over a week's time. It's taking some real thinking on my part deciding what we will need when we move to the city, what we might need which will need to be accessible in the storage shed, and what we really don't need ever again. The rest is being packed in boxes until our return. I'm discovering that packing can be complicated. It's forced me to take stock of my life. Past, present and future collide whilst sitting before an open cupboard. Each piece of stuff stirs memories from when it was acquired and the feelings attached, whilst questioning whether we need it triggers deliberations about priorities and daydreams about where we may go. Each day I try to pack a little and end up deliberating and making a mess until remembering how to eat an elephant - one bite at a time, and then slowly but surely boxes seem to be stacking up.