Tuesday, June 8, 2010

LIFE IS PRECIOUS














A young girl I know had met the man of her dreams. She was besotted by him and lived each day with a dull ache in her heart. A longing to be held in his arms, to feel the warmth of his lips against hers. She missed him terribly, everyday like crazy, evidenced by her Facebook status updates, one of the only forms of communication she had with him. A brave soldier in another land doing his country proud. The countdown was in motion until they would be together again, an opportunity to see and experience another country as they came together as one once more in just 13 more days time. This time would also allow them to finalise their wedding plans, a day they had been anticipating with much joy and excitement. It was a love story you wanted to read till the end, only the ending came in the form of death. He was tragically taken away leaving a trail of sadness behind. The love and laughter stopped dead in its tracks. A broken heart and devastated mind now the truth of her story.

I am both deeply saddened and angered by this tragedy. It's like a piece of my heart has been taken too as I feel for my friend who will never get to live out her fairytale. I imagine the pain now a resident in her life, currently filled with tears and sorrow. Yet I am also angered that so many also live in pain worrying about shit like what to eat and how big their arse is or might become. It's been another lesson in perspective and how to view life and what's really important.

And now that I've dumped my thoughts and shed more tears, after being woken in the midst of my sleep, I'm going to kiss my sleeping kids and text my husband "I love you" and go back to bed and pray.

************************

"There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved - George Sand"